Reef Check Discussion Forum

A place for divers to stay connected
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:35 pm 

Reef Checkers,
We are chartering a small 5 person boat to clean up our Point Lobos sites that we were unable to finish a couple weeks ago. We have 4 fish transects to complete at Weston Reef and we have 7 fish transects to complete at Middle Reef. This is a special opportunity to dive in lovely Point Lobos... particularly in the no-dive area of Weston Reef! Reef Check will pay for your dive reservation and the boat but you'll need to cover your entrance fee into the park. FYI you can park outside the park and carpool in to save money. You also need to provide your own tanks (2).
Please only sign up if you are certified to do fish transects.

What: 2 dives at Point Lobos

When: Monday October 21, meet at 8:30am

Where: Meet at Whalers Cove in Point Lobos State Park https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source ... 15&iwloc=A

What to bring: you dive gear including 2 tanks, a working flash light, and your survey slate and tape. Get your tanks filled for free at one of our buddy breathing shops.

Why: Because we want healthy well-managed reefs in CA.... AND diving is awesome!

Who's coming?:
1. Megan (not diving)
2. Flower M
3. Keith R
4. Vince C.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:23 pm 

Weston on Phil's boat = awesome! Count me in!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:41 pm 

Oh oh pick me pick me!
I like the idea of meeting people outside and carpooling in so we can save parking spaces and entrance fee money!
Anyone else?
Oh man I'm excited!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:54 am 

Count me in!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:10 pm 

Thanks so much to Keith, Vince, Flower, and Alex for taking the time to join us on a weekday at Point Lobos. We had successful dives completing the remaining 4 fish transects at Weston and 7 fish transects at Middle Reef. It was a warm, sunny, flat day along beautiful Point Lobos State Park and State Marine Reserve. As usual everyone came back to the boat with sightings of some of the largest vermilion rockfishes, copper rockfishes, and lingcod that we see in the area as well as large schools of blues and blacks. Not surprising as these sites are in a no-take zone that has been protected since 1973. We were well taken care of by one of our favorite captains, Phil Sammet, and we enjoyed his jokes and stories, as always. Thanks again everyone for the fun day and another two sites checked off our list!

Thanks for all you do.
Megan