Reef Check Discussion Forum

A place for divers to stay connected
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:50 pm 

Reef Checkers,
We are heading back to the Sonoma count to continue working on our sites in this region. We have completed 3 out of 4 of our Sonoma sites so we heading back on Sat Oct 12 to survey Ocean Cove. Dan Abbott will be running these surveys and he could use your help!

If you are coming just for the day meet by the boat ramp of Ocean Cove at 8:30am. Entrance fee is $8.

Accommodations:
-We will be camping at Ocean Cove Campground on Friday night. There are pit toilets and showers that take quarters and a small convenience store across the street. There is no cell phone service in the area so make all your plans and ask questions before your leave. There will be a sign on the Ocean Cove bulliten board letting you know where everyone is camping. Camping is $24/car so carpool! Plan to pay $24 to get into the campsite, we'll pay you back. Do NOT tell the guy at the kiosk that you are here with Reef Check... he won't know what you are talking about and he is known to be grumpy.

Tanks:
-You need to bring 2 full tanks and there is no place to get fills anywhere nearby.

What to bring:
-All your dive gear including tanks and a working flashlight, your survey gear (slate and tape)
-Camping gear, food, and drink for yourself
-$24 to get in to the campground. We'll pay you back.
-Please carpool if possible! We pay by the car to camp.
-Quarters for the shower ($2 for 5 min of hot water)

Map: https://maps.google.com/maps?client=saf ... TF-8&hl=en
Look for the Ocean Cove store on the right and the campground is there on the left (ocean side).

If you plan to collect abalone on this trip you need to have a current fishing license AND abalone report card. Please obtain these BEFORE arriving at the camp site as there is no place to buy them locally. Please review the current regulations on this site http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/abalone.asp and plan to bring your own approved ab iron and gauge.

Let me know when you RSVP if you plan to camp

Who's coming?
1. Dan A.
2. Eric S.
3. Drew (Sunday only)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:17 am 

I can make it on Sunday only.

if that is ok, please put me down for Sunday, thanks!

drew.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:32 pm 

So i'll just bring all my tanks then?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:06 am 

C'mon ReefCheckers! Where's the love? It'll be a fun trip.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:57 am 

I am planning on being there sat. Have some health issues with my mother I am dealing with right now. Should be able to make it. Are you putting in at Ocean cove or going some where else? If you are going to Gristle or Stillwater or Fort Ross, I would rather meet where we will be diving. bill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:27 pm 

I am happy to report that during three dive days a small team made up by Dan A, Drew H, Eric S, and Bill M (and a moonlight by Dan's son Calvin) started and completed Ocean Cove. They were met with flat conditions, tons of abalone, and relatively clear water. They couldn't be stopped, even by a little surge, long surface swims, and a broken tape debacle :) Thanks so much for your efforts guys. Its not a small jaunt to the remote Sonoma coast and Ocean Cove can be a rough one. So glad you had good conditions and some successful days along one of the prettiest coastlines in CA.

Thanks so much for all you do!
Megan