Reef Check Discussion Forum

A place for divers to stay connected
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:28 pm 

Reef Checkers,

Its time for our survey(s) in the the San Luis Obispo area! We will be surveying Spooners Cove and our site in the Point Buchon marine reserve, both of which are offshore of Montana de Oro State Park. We have few volunteers in the SLO area so we bring the troops in from north and south. Come join us... it'll be a fun weekend! It is a perfect opportunity to dive a new area that is full of life. This area is particularly interesting because it is a transition zone between the northern species we find up here and the more southern species assemblages found south of Point Conception.

We will be chartering the only diving charter boat in Morro Bay, "Magic." This boat is a small six pack that is not exactly retrofitted for diving (no head, extra tanks go in the storage below) but is comfortable enough. There is room for 6-7 divers on the boat. The area can be pretty exposed to swell energy so vis and surge will be closely monitored beforehand. However we are going during the best season for diving and captain Shawn is great at keeping in touch, letting us know the conditions, and rescheduling if they aren't good. We will not make the trip if we can't do the surveys and everyone will be alerted before they make the drive. Please only sign up if you are certified to do at least 3 types of transects since we need to make sure we get each site done in one day.

Because almost everyone surveying will be coming from 1-3hrs away we plan to make a fun weekend campout of it. I plan to arrive on Friday night and get some campsites at El Chorro Regional Park. We will have the campsite Saturday night as well and everyone is welcome to camp with us. If you aren't into camping there are several inexpensive hotels nearby as well. We will survey Spooner's Cove on Saturday and Point Buchon on Sunday.

What: Two dives on Saturday and Sunday off the dive boat "Magic"
Saturday Aug 10- Survey Spooner's Cove
Sunday Aug 11- Survey Point Bushon

When: meet at the dock at 8am both Saturday and Sunday

Where: Meet to load at the small loading dock at Tidelands Park in Morro Bay. https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&c ... CBMQnwIwAA

Accommodations: Reef Check will pay for camping at El Chorro Regional Park Friday and Saturday nights. We will also provide firewood and the fixings for smores. Everyone should bring their own food but perhaps we can have a potluck dinner on Saturday night. http://www.slocountyparks.com/activities/el_chorro.htm

What to bring: All dive gear including two tanks, your survey gear, warmth, snacks, and drinks for in between dives. We have a super supportive Buddy Breathing partner shop in the area, Depth Perceptions Dive Shop. The owner Chuck is a big supporter and will give free air fills and often gives free tanks rental if you are without tanks.

It should be a fun weekend! I look forward to surveying this area every year!

Who is coming?
1. Kim G.
2. Lisa N.
3. Maureen M.
4. Keith R
5. Caitlin C
6. Karen G.
7. Jonah M.

Waitlist:
1. Matt G.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:46 am 

Sign me up please!
Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:48 am 

I would love to come!

Danielle D.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:20 pm 

I'd like to partake.

Attachments:
Guarding Alcatraz.jpg
Guarding Alcatraz.jpg [ 75.75 KiB | Viewed 2036 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:17 pm 

Sounds like a fun trip - plan to be Fish ready too!
~Karen G

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:18 am 

I'm in.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:03 pm 

Add me to the wait list please.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:04 pm 

Wait list me please!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:28 pm 

Please add me to the wait list. I will be completing my training this weekend and hope to get some practical experience on Aug 3rd and hope to be certified for UPC, Algae, and invertebrates. We will see.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:54 am 

Please add me to the waitlist.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:38 pm 

Thanks to everyone who came out for our SLO surveys and campout. Unfortunately our captain had to cancel the boat trips last minute because he was in the ER in terrible pain. Bummer for him and bummer for us. We made due however and went for a shore dive at Spooners Cove in Montana de Oro, hiking up Bishops Peak, and camped out with our Reef Check friends. I have rescheduled the surveys to be on the weekend of Oct 26-27. I hope that some of you can make this trip as well. Thanks everyone for your flexibility and dedication!

Cheers,
Megan :D