Reef Check Discussion Forum

A place for divers to stay connected
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:53 pm 

Hey there Reef Checkers!

Our first survey, just two months away on May 25 will be at Salt Creek in Dana Point. I hope you are all looking forward to another fun and exciting survey season! Due to rising charter costs in the Orange County area, we will be trying this survey using a different boat called the Sun Sea Seeker. We're mixing it up a little this spring and going back to our roots of using the occasional 6 pack charter boats (that's how we used to do all our Palos Verdes sites, as some of you may recall.)

Here are the details:

When: Saturday May 25 at 7:15 AM (we should be back by around 2:00 PM.)

Where:
NEW MEETING DETAILS!!!
This boat and is parked in a gated area of the harbor so let’s meet up just outside the gate at 7:15 for a pre dive briefing before being let in together for loading all of our gear at 8:00. The boat is located on M dock on the island side of the harbor. Exiting the I-5 at exit #79 “Beach Cities” brings you out on PCH and, at the second traffic signal, turn left on Dana Point Harbor Drive. Go straight through two traffic signals and just past the Dana Point Marina Inn on your left, turn left on Island Way. Cross the bridge over to the island side of the marina and turn left at the stop sign onto Dana Drive. At the second driveway on the left, there will be a gated entrance for us to enter. However, I noticed there was parking on the side that would be a good place for us to do the briefing. For GPS purposes a nearby building is 24705 Dana Drive and below is a link to a picture the parking area I want you to park in at 7:15:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=24705+Da ... 53jrgYkILA

What are we doing: Two survey dives in the kelp forest at Salt Creek.

What do I bring: The boat can provide aluminum 80 tanks for your use. Please let me know if you will need a tank so I can let the captain know how many to bring. You are welcome to bring your own tanks, but the Sun Sea Seeker DOES NOT have an air compressor, so if you prefer your own, bring two tanks. Don't forget all your scuba gear, including weights and all your survey gear (slate, transect, calipers, etc.) sunscreen, warm clothes, your scuba certification card, etc. And if you are inclined to tip the crew for keeping us safe during the afternoon, please plan to bring that, as well.

PLEASE DO NOT BRING GIANT ROLLING GEAR BAGS/BOXES! They are great for transporting gear to/from your car, but this boat does not have a ton of extra deck space. If you have these bags, plan to unload your gear on the boat and then return the bulky bag to your car before we depart. As an alternative, you may want to consider scaling down to smaller, flexible mesh gear bags.

What does the boat provide: Aluminum 80 tanks (upon request), some small weights to fine tune your trim. I will provide plenty of datasheets and some drinks and snacks!

Suggested Donation:
Reef Check is striving to use our resources wisely. To help support the program, it is suggested that RCCA divers on boat charters may help defray the cost of supplies and boat costs by making a $30 donation to Reef Check - but really, any amount helps support the cause if you are able to do so. However, Reef Check will never turn away divers that either can't or choose not to donate. If you are interested, you can donate online by clicking on this link: http://www.reefcheck.org/rcca/donate

The team (as of April 8th):

1. Brianne B.
2. Ted S.
3. Michelle H.
4. Julianne S.
5. David B.
6. Dirk

Waitlist:

I hope you can join us!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:38 pm 

Hi Brianne:
Put me on the wait list in case someone needs to drop out.
Dirk

Dirk Burcham

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:40 pm 

I have to back out. Have fun! -Mike

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:59 pm 
Southern California Program Manager

Ok, Mike, thanks for the heads up.

Dirk, you are in! Glad you can make it!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:05 pm 

OK. Got the message.
I will plan on 5/25.
Dirk