Reef Check Discussion Forum

A place for divers to stay connected
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:46 pm 
Southern California Program Manager

Excellent news, Reef Checkers!

Mike Ireland is once again volunteering his time to teach a *FREE PADI Nitrox class in either San Diego or Dana Point on Sunday March 24th. We will pick the location based on where most of the interested divers are located. Basically Mike will volunteer his time and you will pay the at-cost price for materials.

Exact details to follow, but class will take place at either be at the Birch Aquarium at Scripps or at the Ocean Institute in Dana Point and will roughly run from 9 am to 3 pm. Approximate cost is around $70, which is just the required PADI materials cost of around $50 (Student manual, tables use book, EANx32 table, EANx36 table, EANx conversion table) and $20 for the certification card and processing at PADI. This class would normally run anywhere from $100 - $200 at a diveshop, so this is a pretty good deal. I will work with Mike to get more information, but it will likely just be some pre-class prep, classroom work, a potential field trip to a diveshop to get a nitrox fill and some tests. I don't believe there is a mandatory dive with this class.

Maximum class size is 8.

Deadline to participate in the class is Friday February 22nd so we have enough time to order the materials.

Nitrox class interest:

1. Kevin S.
2. Erica F.
3. Scott M.
4. Colleen ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:28 pm 

Mike

My current O2 has expired and I need to renew it.
I have current CPR & a mask, and would need to buy the rest of the materials.
Dana point is a easy commute for me if possible.

Just let me know if you have enough interest and a date picked.

Ted Sharshan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:55 pm 
RCCA Volunteer Coordinator

I would be interested in the nitrox class, especially if it's in SD (but either way...) Hope it goes! let me know

Kevin S.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:27 pm 

Ok, team,
As of now, based on our numbers, it looks like we will likely do a Nitrox class in San Diego on March 24th. Exact details to follow, but it will probably be at the Birch Aquarium at Scripps and will roughly run from 9 am to 3 pm. Approximate cost is around $70, which is just the required PADI materials cost of around $50 (Student manual, tables use book, EANx32 table, EANx36 table, EANx conversion table) and $20 for the certification card and processing at PADI. This class would normally run anywhere from $100 - $200 at a diveshop, so this is a pretty good deal. I will work with Mike to get more information, but it will likely just be some pre-class prep, classroom work, a potential field trip to a diveshop to get a nitrox fill and some tests. I don't believe there is a mandatory dive with this class.

Let me know if this still works for you, Kevin. And if anyone else is interested, let me know. Maximum class size is 8.

Maybe, if we get enough interest, we can do an O2 class in the late fall.

Thanks, Colleen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:29 pm 

Ok, folks, I'm extending the deadline for signups to next Friday, February 22nd.

If you wish to participate in the Nitrox class being held on Sunday March 24th in San Diego, let me know. If there is a lot of interest from folks further north, there's a good chance we could run it in Dana Point instead.

See above post for exact details regarding prerequisites and cost.

Let me know if you are interested or if you have any questions.

Thanks, colleen