Reef Check Eco-Action In Thailand

Discussion regarding the tropical Reef Check EcoDiver Program
burger

Postby burger » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:48 pm

Hello to All

My purpose for this posting is to share our experiences here in Thailand of the Reef Check Ecodiver courses we have run. The aim is that this feedback provides some information regarding our experience that can be used by other Ecodiver Trainers elsewhere.

We have so far conducted 4 Ecodiver courses in Koh Tao, Thailand certifying 12 Ecodivers in the process. We have been running 4 day courses beginning with a one day introduction followed by some in-water buoyancy practice & Reef Check Orientation. All courses have concluded with the successful completion of a Reef Check Survey on a nearby local site.

We have been conducting our courses in conjunction with a PADI Project Aware Specialty course to combine the two organisations as PADI is one of the largest certifying agencies on the planet.

During our courses we have been requesting been showing students the Macgillvary-Freeman film, 'Coral Reef Adventure' as well as an Inconvenient Truth, to get them informed about issues from a general level rather than just the aquatic environment. So far response has been lukewarm but with an enormous diving population on our small island the groundswell is growing and hopefully Reefcheck surveys by certified volunteers will be a regular event. At least that's the aim.

If you have any questions or comments feel free to post here, check out our website at www.ecokohtao.com or email me at nath@ecokohtao.com

Nathan Cook

-------------------------
PADI MSDT #479720
Reef Check Trainer
PH: + 66 86 776 2252
Manager Environmental Awareness and Action
Eco Koh Tao
E: nath@ecokohtao.com
www.ecokohtao.com
Attachments
new-certs-dec2.jpg
Newly Certifed Ecodiver - December 2007
new-certs-dec2.jpg (14.44 KiB) Viewed 10034 times
RC-1.jpg
Reef Check Survey in Action
RC-1.jpg (30.9 KiB) Viewed 10034 times
RC-2.jpg
One of our permanent stakes
RC-2.jpg (45.18 KiB) Viewed 10034 times

Mary Luna

Postby Mary Luna » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:03 am

Hi Nathan,

Thanks so much for the update, your course sounds very interesting. Let us know if there's anything that we can help with from our side.

In addition, I'd like to congratulate you on your website, it is very clean and efficent. Thanks for posting links to the Declaration and the IYOR.

Is Eco Koh Tao planning an event to celebrate IYOR? If so, let us know so we can help promote it!

Mary Luna
U.S. NGO Facilitator for IYOR 2008
Reef Check Foundation

PO Box 1057 (mail)
17575 Pacific Coast Highway
Pacific Palisades, CA 90272-1057 USA

Tel: 310-230-2371, 310-230-2360
Fax: 310-230-2376
Email: iyor2008@reefcheck.org
www.reefcheck.org

Take an easy step to help the coral reefs of the world by signing the
INTERNATIONAL DECLARATION OF REEF RIGHTS
http://www.reefcheck.org/petition/petition.php

burger

Events for 2008 - IYOR

Postby burger » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:04 pm

Hello Mary

Thank you for your posting. We are very much in the early stages of development here on Koh Tao. It is a very busy little island in the Gulf of Thailand with very little eco focus as yet.

So far there have been 2 meetings (of hopefully many) of a collective group of Dive Schools called Save Koh Tao group which have been looking to enhance the eco-consciousness on Koh Tao. We have a series of events planned in the short term but need to look at the medium term as a group. We at Eco Koh Tao have been linking all of our current activities to the IYOR (see attached picture) but I will probably contact you again soon with some assistance for our future projects.

Thanks again for your support

Kind Regards

Nathan Cook

-------------------------
PADI MSDT #479720
Reef Check Trainer
PH: + 66 86 776 2252
Manager Environmental Awareness and Action
Eco Koh Tao
E: nath@ecokohtao.com
www.ecokohtao.com
Attachments
Beach-Clean-Up.jpg
Beach Clean Up posters linking to IYOR
Beach-Clean-Up.jpg (28.29 KiB) Viewed 10028 times

Mary Luna

Postby Mary Luna » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:27 pm

Hi Nathan,

Please do keep us posted on any progress made.
I'd like to remind you that any event promoting coral reef conservation can be relabeled as an International Year of the Reef 2008 event; thus allowing you to participate in this world wide campaign without having to go too much out of your way, i.e. an already planned beach and dive site clean-up!

You can read more about what others are doing through our IYOR 2008 calendar (part of this forum and soon available in the RC IYOR 2008 web page). Once you have photos from your events you can post them on the IYOR 2008 folder in our photo gallery for others to enjoy.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future to discuss ways in which RCH can help things on your side move forward.

Thanks!

Mary Luna
U.S. NGO Facilitator for IYOR 2008
Reef Check Foundation

Return to “EcoDiver Program”