Cen Cal- Oct 26-27- Rescheduled SLO surveys SUCCESS!

Holds posts for RCCA Certified Divers from 2013

Moderators: dabbott, janfreiwald

swelll

Cen Cal- Oct 26-27- Rescheduled SLO surveys SUCCESS!

Postby swelll » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:47 pm

Reef Checkers,
Well our August survey in SLO had to be rescheduled due to the boat captain going to the hospital so we are giving it another shot. Join us for some in surveys in one of my favorite parts of California.

We will be surveying Spooners Cove and our site in the Point Buchon marine reserve, both of which are offshore of Montana de Oro State Park. We have few volunteers in the SLO area so we bring the troops in from north and south. Come join us... it'll be a fun weekend! It is a perfect opportunity to dive a new area that is full of life. This area is particularly interesting because it is a transition zone between the northern species we find up here and the more southern species assemblages found south of Point Conception.

We will be chartering the only diving charter boat in Morro Bay, "Magic." This boat is a small six pack that is not exactly retrofitted for diving (no head, extra tanks go in the storage below) but is comfortable enough. There is room for 6-7 divers on the boat. The area can be pretty exposed to swell energy so vis and surge will be closely monitored beforehand. However we are going during the best season for diving and captain Shawn is great at keeping in touch, letting us know the conditions, and rescheduling if they aren't good. We will not make the trip if we can't do the surveys and everyone will be alerted before they make the drive. Please only sign up if you are certified to do at least 3 types of transects since we need to make sure we get each site done in one day.

Because almost everyone surveying will be coming from 1-3hrs away we plan to make a fun weekend campout of it. I plan to arrive on Friday night and get some campsites at El Chorro Regional Park. We will have the campsite Saturday night as well and everyone is welcome to camp with us. If you aren't into camping there are several inexpensive hotels nearby as well. We will survey Spooner's Cove on Saturday and Point Buchon on Sunday.

What: Two dives on Saturday and Sunday off the dive boat "Magic"
Saturday Oct 26- Survey Spooner's Cove
Sunday Oct 27- Survey Point Bushon

When: meet at the dock at 8am both Saturday and Sunday

Where: Meet to load at the small loading dock at Tidelands Park in Morro Bay. https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&c ... CBMQnwIwAA

Accommodations: Reef Check will pay for camping at El Chorro Regional Park Friday and Saturday nights. We will also provide firewood and the fixings for smores. Everyone should bring their own food but perhaps we can have a potluck dinner on Saturday night. http://www.slocountyparks.com/activities/el_chorro.htm

What to bring: All dive gear including two tanks, your survey gear, warmth, snacks, and drinks for in between dives. We have a super supportive Buddy Breathing partner shop in the area, Depth Perceptions Dive Shop. The owner Chuck is a big supporter and will give free air fills and often gives free tanks rental if you are without tanks.

It should be a fun weekend! I look forward to surveying this area every year!

Who wants to join us?
1. Megan W. (not diving)
2. Camilla
3. Matt G. (4)
4. Jonah M.
5. Kaia
6. Bruce C.
7. Keith R.
8. Dan Schwartz

Waitlist:
1. Vince C.

camilla163

Re: Cen Cal- Oct 26-27- Rescheduled San Luis Obispo surveys

Postby camilla163 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:57 pm

Sounds great! Count me in! I am open to carpooling if people are interested.
-Camilla

matthew_gillespie

Postby matthew_gillespie » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:29 pm

Please count me in. I will bring 4 tanks.

BruceC

Postby BruceC » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:03 pm

Meghan

Sign me up, please.

Bruce Cousins

Kadugan

Postby Kadugan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:53 am

Sure, Let's give it another try.
Keith Rootsaert, Defending 3x Golden Slate (2012), Golden Transect (2013), & Co-Golden Slate (2014) Champion. 2016 RCCA Citizen Scientist of the Year. Gunning for David Chervin in 2018.

toddtemple

Postby toddtemple » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:17 pm

I'll go and I have my own tanks

Danimal

Postby Danimal » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:30 pm

Hi, count me in. I'm interested in carpooling. Here's my number and let's coordinate rides. 510-717-3540.

Dan
Attachments
Pl.CA.2.jpg
Pl.CA.2.jpg (725.9 KiB) Viewed 7872 times
"I tried being serious, but all I could get was construction work." - Dean Martin

Kadugan

Postby Kadugan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:59 pm

Dan, nice Peurobranchaea califonica shot
Attachments
Pleurobranchaea californica 5.JPG
Pleurobranchaea californica 5.JPG (233.88 KiB) Viewed 7783 times
Keith Rootsaert, Defending 3x Golden Slate (2012), Golden Transect (2013), & Co-Golden Slate (2014) Champion. 2016 RCCA Citizen Scientist of the Year. Gunning for David Chervin in 2018.

Danimal

Postby Danimal » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:38 pm

Saw another one at the Break - feeding. Shoots its mouth clean out of its body lightning fast.
Attachments
Pleur.mouth.full.jpg
Pleur.mouth.full.jpg (461.59 KiB) Viewed 7762 times
"I tried being serious, but all I could get was construction work." - Dean Martin

swelll

Postby swelll » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:54 pm

Thanks to Keith, Camilla, Matt, Kaia, Jonah, Dan, and Bruce for joining us in San Luis Obispo for the second take of our area surveys. The first attempt in August was derailed by our poor captain's debilitating kidney stone and emergency visit to the hospital. But fortunately for him and for us he is healthy and back in action. We met and made base camp at the pretty and warm El Chorro park in SLO, and we headed to Morro Bay to board the boat "Magic" each day. Our two sites, Spooners Cove and Point Buchon, are off Montana de Oro State Park and are on the north and south side of the point respectively. Our dive at Spooners was a little surgy and the thick understory kelp was a new challenge for some, but folks enjoyed the large geologic uplifts in the otherwise flat substrate where you can find lots of benthic rockfishes, abalone, and other inverts. Fortunately, the swell died on Sunday and we had a flat ride out to the other side of Point Buchon. The vis was better here and everyone was all smiles because of the dynamic bathymetry full of small pinnacles and the abundance of organisms. This is really special site in a reserve that went into effect in 2007. We were able to complete both sites in two fun days of diving in a remote area where not too many venture. Along the way we saw whale and dolphins and enjoyed the coastline of a beautiful state park. We then went back to the campsite and enjoyed one of the best potluck spreads I have seen in our small group (always invite Bruce to your potlucks! :lol: ). Thanks again everyone for the great weekend and successful surveys.

Thanks for all you do.
Megan

Return to “2013 Archive”