Welcome San Francisco Reef Check class!

Holds posts for RCCA Certified Divers from 2013

Moderators: dabbott, janfreiwald

swelll

Welcome San Francisco Reef Check class!

Postby swelll » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:31 pm

Hello Future Reef Checkers,
It was great working with you all this past weekend at the Cal Academy and in the pool. I was really impressed by your skills and enthusiasm. Looking forward to another great weekend when we practice in the ocean!

Reply to this and tell me what your favorite Reef Check indicator species is. Maybe we'll see it during our training :)

Thanks and see you soon!
Megan

teresa

Re: Welcome San Francisco Reef Check class!

Postby teresa » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:44 pm

I'll have to say the CA sea cucumber. They always seem so mellow and relaxed, all sitting there like they're saying "duuuuude, go for peace, man".

-Teresa

drewh1

Postby drewh1 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:02 pm

that was a great class - super organized and taught with energy and enthusiasm. Thanks to Megan. And it was nice to be in the Academy and get a tour.

Let's see, I am going to have to say the Pinto Abalone. I look forward to seeing you all on the boat.

sommerau

Postby sommerau » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:50 am

Thanks again for the awesome class! Had a lot of fun and it was great meeting other divers whom love our coast.

My favorite indicator species is the lingcod, as it is tasty and goes well in tacos. Also, it looks flippin awesome and has some really cool behavioral patterns.

Eric

Tim Clarke

Postby Tim Clarke » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:57 am

Megan - thanks for a great class - I learned a lot in just a couple of days and am excited to try out the new skills! The Rock greenling, well...rocks! Also, happened to catch a show about Grouper Moon Project where Nassau grouper are being on Little Cayman. 1. Cool to see some of the techniques put to use. & 2. Nassau grouper look a hell of a lot like Rock fish. Either that or I have Rock fish on the brain...

kimgglenn

Postby kimgglenn » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:43 pm

Hi Megan and classmates:

I've been able to dive since our class weekend and have really enjoyed practicing my organism ID skills (and they sure need practice, especially distinguishing Olive, Yellow Tail, Brown, and Kelp Rock Fish). I find myself quite fond of the Kelp Greenling (male) because of his distinctive pattern. I also appreciate how my presence affects the fish behavior, something about which I was insensitive before.

I look forward to getting some practical guidance so I can better recognize the size, shape, and especially the behavior of the different species to help me identify them.

Oh yes, the Gabezon is pretty cool. I would have missed seeing quite a large one if he didn't dart away from my hand as I reached down to examine an abolone shell near where he was resting. I wished I had brought my slate with me so I could practice estimating size. I think I'll mark my smaller slate with centimeters, since I usually dive with it.

-Kim

Return to “2013 Archive”