Welcome 2017 OC Class!!!

Survey planning and reports

Moderators: dabbott, smcmillan, Katiekozma, janfreiwald, SeaDana, jmdiver

Katiekozma
RCCA Volunteer Coordinator

Welcome 2017 OC Class!!!

Postby Katiekozma » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:44 am

Greetings new Reef Checkers!

Welcome to the forum! We hope you have enjoyed your training so far this weekend. Great job getting through the classroom and pool session portion of the training! This is where we post all our dives and events, so it's helpful to get familiar with our forum. If you have any questions at all please feel free to contact Selena or myself.

As part of your homework assignment for the class, please post a reply here giving yourself a quick intro and tell us what your favorite Reef Check indicator species and why.

Personally, I love Bat Stars because they can be so many different, incredible colors and I love being able to count them since their populations have been starting to come back after the sea star wasting disease!

We can't wait to dive in the field with all of you in a few weeks!

chris.koehler

Re: Welcome 2017 OC Class!!!

Postby chris.koehler » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi everyone! Thanks Katie and Selena for the incredible instruction.

I'm Chris Koehler from Playa del Rey, I do a lot of beach diving around Malibu. My favorite indicator species is the California Spiny Lobster because they are delicious.

Looking forward to diving with everyone soon!

David Kempe

Postby David Kempe » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:31 pm

Thanks for the fun class, Katie and Selena!

This is David Kempe, from Culver City. I like shore and boat diving, and have done shore dives in Malibu, Palos Verdes, and Redondo so far.

I will cheat and name two indicator species: (1) Giant Kelp, because swimming through those forests is just so awesome, and (2) Black Sea Bass, because they are so friendly.

RobWIn

Postby RobWIn » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:46 am

Hi Katie and Salena,

Rob Win here from the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, working with Marine Protected Areas Management Program. Thanks for allowing me to become Reef Check Certified!

Regards
Rob

chrislyon

Postby chrislyon » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:13 pm

Hey guys, good to meet you all and I look forward to the dive next weekend.

Great class put together by Katie and Selena. Learned a lot!

My favorite indicator species so far would have to be the Giant Sea Bass because it's so... giant!

ocdiver30

Postby ocdiver30 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:37 pm

Hi Katie and Salena,

This is Oscar Cortes, my favourite id Species is the adult Garibaldi simply because its easy to spot. Thank you for the great class, see you on the boat.

william_cain

Postby william_cain » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:59 pm

Hello All,

This is Bill Cain. My favorite indicator species is the sheep crab because they are fun to interact with.

Thanks Katie and Salena for a really great class!

Karenshine

Postby Karenshine » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:22 pm

Hi All:

Wow, I learned so many names of indicator species and their markings in such a short time - well 83% at least. However, looking forward to go diving with you to complete the course and will see from there.

My favorite? Besides juvenile Garibaldi I like Treefish 'cause they're colorful. Hopefully, they'll be be protected from carnivorous humans really soon.

Karen

JeanPDavis

Postby JeanPDavis » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:52 pm

Hi all,
This is Jean Davis from Huntington Beach. I work for CDFW on the Southern California Fisheries Research and Management project. My favorite indicator species is the juvenile garibaldi for their gorgeous blue speckles. <'(((< <'(((<

Katiekozma
RCCA Volunteer Coordinator

Postby Katiekozma » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:24 pm

Hope you guys are ready for an awesome weekend of diving! YAY! See you all this weekend!

Katie

mkwierman

Postby mkwierman » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:50 pm

Hey everybody! Matt here. I go diving whenever and wherever opportunities present themselves.

Super excited for our diving this weekend. I hope to see some Giant Sea Bass because I love being near wildlife bigger than me.

Erick_Zerecero

Postby Erick_Zerecero » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:51 pm

Hello everyone,
This is Erick, just graduated UCLA and did most of my dives under AAUS. I enjoy diving so much.

The cabazon is my favorite species.

See you all tomorrow.

Return to “Southern California”