Welcome 2017 LA Class!!!

Survey planning and reports

Moderators: dabbott, smcmillan, Katiekozma, janfreiwald, SeaDana, jmdiver

Katiekozma
RCCA Volunteer Coordinator

Welcome 2017 LA Class!!!

Postby Katiekozma » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:05 pm

Greetings new Reef Checkers!

Welcome to the forum! We hope you have enjoyed your training so far this weekend. Great job getting through the classroom and pool session portion of the training! This is where we post all our dives and events, so it's helpful to get familiar with our forum. If you have any questions at all please feel free to contact Selena or myself.

As part of your homework assignment for the class, please post a reply here giving yourself a quick intro and tell us what your favorite Reef Check indicator species and why.

Personally, I love Bat Stars because they can be so many different incredible colors and I love being able to count them since their populations have been starting to come back after the sea star wasting disease!

We can't wait to dive in the field with all of you in a few weeks!

Caseythetomcat

Re: Welcome 2017 LA Class!!!

Postby Caseythetomcat » Tue May 02, 2017 2:37 pm

Thanks for a great training weekend! I feel like I'm still trying to recover from all the info that was crammed in my brain!

My favorite Reef Check indicator species is the garibaldi. I really like damselfish in general and I like their bright orange color.

Tristanb18

Postby Tristanb18 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:54 am

Thanks for the class.

I have been diving for about 4 years and am a rescue diver.

My favorite indicator species is the sunflower star, not that I've seen one outside an aquarium, but I'm looking forward to it.

SharkBaitJohn

Postby SharkBaitJohn » Wed May 03, 2017 11:05 am

Hi Katie, Salena & Dan,

Thanks so much for the great Intro to RCCA class. Yep, my head is bursting from the knowledge download, and I slept like a deadman Sunday evening.

To all other ReefCheckers, I'm currently a PADI DM candidate, and have been diving since 1988 -- albeit pretty infrequently until 2016, when I seemed to grow a set of gills. I now dive weekly and am looking forward to focussing on understanding the biology of the marine environment, through RCCA and as a California Science Center volunteer diver, and ultimately as an AAUS Scientific Diver (c. 2017/2018). At this point, my deepest interest lies in habitat restoration. Anybody know much about that or know anybody who does?

I suppose my new favorite RCCA indicator species are the Greenlings, due to their wild colors and undulating locomotion, however, I retain a deep fascination with octopi, given their intelligence and our mutual curiosity.

Well, let's git divin'!

tsherren

Postby tsherren » Fri May 05, 2017 12:31 pm

Hi Katie, Selena & Dan,
Fun/challenging class last weekend-- thanks so much. I struggled a bit with the fish ids, but surprisingly nailed all the abalone! Went out to Catalina for Chamber Day on Wednesday and brought my slate & practiced my Reef Check skills. Damn, there were a lot of crowned urchins on my imaginary transect line! But I saw my new favorites; abalone! Actually I saw two abalone which was super-cool-- one red & one green, both 15 centimeters (yes, I measured them with my calipers!). Looking forward to seeing everybody on the Peace in a couple of weeks!
All the best,
Tom

ashlefauvre

Postby ashlefauvre » Mon May 08, 2017 12:30 pm

I enjoyed the class so far very much. I have been lamenting to everyone I meet about how there are 6 different kinds of abalone and 500 species of rockfish on the California coast. Also regaled friends with trivia on Undaria and red abalone yesterday at dimsum. Can we sign up for survey dives prior to our final class? Feeling super enthusiastic!

jenelana

Postby jenelana » Wed May 17, 2017 9:09 am

Hey hey ocean people,

This is Jena/Jen here. I got certified in the pretty waters of Monterey Bay in 2009 with the amazing Francis Degnan. Got back into diving 2014 after a trip to Moorea. Rescue Diver certified last year.

Favorite reef check species - señoritas - cleaner fish are the best.
See you this weekend!
Last edited by jenelana on Mon May 22, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomark

Postby tomark » Wed May 17, 2017 8:07 pm

Hello there, Thomas here,
Enjoyed the weekend tremendously, thank you Dan, Selena and Katie for your knowledge transfer skills :)
About me...I'm an Assistant Dive Safety Officer at the California science Center. I've been there since 2010, 4 years as a volunteer and 3 years full time. AAUS Diver, NAUI Instructor and DAN First Aid Instructor.

My favorite Reef Check Species could be the Sunflower Star, only seen one back in 2011 and I would hate it to be the only time. Oh...and the Giant Sea Bass...oh... and all the abalone out there...hi :) see you soon.

Looking forward to diving with every one this weekend, gonna be FUN !!!

Arian

Postby Arian » Fri May 19, 2017 7:23 am

Hello Selena, Dan, and Katie,

I can't express how excited I am for the 2 day training ahead of us.

I am a DM candidate and if time permits I am planning to complete my course by the end of this summer. Breathing under water is like doing yoga for my brain. It gives me a tremendous pleasure and I try to capture those moments by taking professional pictures and videos.

Now that I can do fish identification, I can't wait to see pinto abalones or Kellet's whelk under water. Looking forward to it!

zackgold

Postby zackgold » Fri May 19, 2017 8:07 am

Hi SoCal RCCA and LA class,

My name is Zack Gold and I am a PhD student at UCLA studying the effects of marine protected areas on biodiversity in Southern California. I took the SLO Reef Check class two weekends ago and am excited to be apart of the Reef Check. However, since I live in LA and will be doing a bunch of dives in down hereI thought I would post to the SoCal group as well!

I am a PADI Rescue Diver and also AAUS scientific dive certified and will take almost any chance I get to jump in the water.

My favorite indicator species has got to be the California spiny lobster. Always get a big kick when I look under a ledge and find a dozen or so down there. Plus those little ommatidia are just so cute.

john.b.simmons

Postby john.b.simmons » Mon May 22, 2017 4:16 pm

Hi Selena, Dan, and Katie,
Jenny and I found the class dives very challenging, and we are looking forward to improving our skills to get checked off on the core surveys.
The class itself has been interesting, informative, and well run - Thank you!

We have been diving for recreation as a home-schooling family since 2011, and the boys (Andrew, now 16 and David, now 20) and I completed the PADI advanced open water course at Boy Scout Camp Emerald Bay in 2013.

My favorite indicator species is the Sheephead - almost as iconic as the Garibaldi, and friendlier/more curious about us.

John

ENolasco

Postby ENolasco » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:15 am

As part of your homework assignment for the class, please post a reply here giving yourself a quick intro and tell us what your favorite Reef Check indicator species and why.

Hi, I'm Emery!
I'm an engineer with the mission to develop technology for research, exploration, and conservation of the ocean and its marine life. I'm currently a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver with about 33 dives under my belt!

My favorite Reef Check indicator species is the Treefish! I've done a couple of dives and those fish are fish that you kind of just find hanging out and in smaller spaces! I like how their colors are eye-catching, which does make them easier to find. I really adore the fish adult indicator of having red lips!

I'm counting on having a swimming great time data logging the West Coast with everyone!

Return to “Southern California”