07.28.17 First Sonoma Campout Weekend!

Survey planning and reports

Moderators: dabbott, smcmillan, janfreiwald, Tristin.McHugh

dabbott
Central Coast Regional Manager

07.28.17 First Sonoma Campout Weekend!

Postby dabbott » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:43 am

Reefcheckers!

This year we're growing our program in Sonoma by collecting some additional abalone size data and hopefully adding some new sites. The goal will be to collect both our normal Reefcheck survey data as well as additional abalone size measurements at our Sonoma sites, and hopefully some new ones as well.

Logistics

Diving: We are shooting to do 3 sites this week: Ocean Cove, Stillwater Cove, and Gerstle Cove. We will meet at 8:00 am on Saturday, July 28th at Salt Point Campground. From there we will break into teams and move to the dive sites. All of the sites have parking that is far away from the site itself. We have found it best to carpool as much as possible and have gear packed into bags or box's that can be quickly thrown into a truck and shuttled down to the beach. Once we are at the dive site we will remain there all day so lunch, water, and dry gear should also be brought down to the beach. You will be responsible for bringing in all of your own dive gear including tanks and weights. There is no place to fill tanks on the Sonoma coast so please bring all the tanks you plan to use for the weekend. Our usual tank supplier will not be able to bring us tanks this year so please bring what you plan to use! We will be doing 2 dives a day so you will need 4 tanks if you plan to stay for the entire weekend.

As a reminder, we have some new protocols on the North Coast. We have switched to measuring red abalone to the nearest millimeter rather than the nearest centimeter like in previous years, and therefore use calipers when sizing. We will have a briefing on the calipers use prior to the dives and distribute the calipers to folks before you go out. We are also not sub-sampling on red abalone this year (though we're only going to measure the first 50 on a line). All other abalone species (flat's and pinto's) will still be measured to the nearest centimeter. We have also added roving red abalone sizing surveys, where we'll use specialized calipers and rove around looking for red abalone to measure off of core transects. Our priority, however, will be completing the RCCA survey first.

Camping:
We will be camping at Salt Point Campground. We have campsites for both the 27th and 28th so folks are welcome to arrive on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. The campground does not have showers. You will need to bring all of your camping gear plus food! Let's plan on having a potluck on Saturday night so please bring something to share.
If you are not into camping there are a few hotels such as the the Fort Ross Lodge in the area but I would start your search immediately!

Important reminders:
The Sonoma Coastline is a remote place. Therefore your cells phone will most likely not work (gasp!) so writing down any directions you will need prior to leaving is a great idea. Along those lines, there are not many (or any) supermarkets, dive shops, camping/outdoor stores, or convenience stores close by so I suggest making your list and checking it twice. Also, bring in any spare dive parts and gear is a good idea. Lastly It is NOT abalone season, however, it is urchin season! I'll be happy to give an urchin preparing lesson, after all, we may have to all get used to eating urchin.

Please include your first and last name while signing up especially if your screen name is cryptic!

1. Dan Abbott
2. Stephen Ames
3. Golden Slate

stephenames67

Re: 07.28.17 First Sonoma Campout Weekend!

Postby stephenames67 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:31 pm

Count me in.
Stephen Ames - fish

stephenames67

Postby stephenames67 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:32 pm

Count me in for both days.
Stephen Ames - fish

David Chervin

Postby David Chervin » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:44 pm

Count me in for both days.

Dave Chervin
Dave Chervin

2016 and 2017 Golden Slate Diver

stephenames67

Postby stephenames67 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:24 am

:D thats funny. Now David is simply know as "golden slate". I would like to now be known as "golden slate want-ta-be".

AllieS

Postby AllieS » Tue May 08, 2018 5:04 pm

I'm in!

Allie Sherman

Kadugan

Postby Kadugan » Tue May 15, 2018 2:02 pm

Count me in!
Keith Rootsaert, Defending 3x Golden Slate (2012), Golden Transect (2013), & Co-Golden Slate (2014) Champion. 2016 RCCA Citizen Scientist of the Year. Gunning for David Chervin in 2018.

Return to “Nor/Cen California”