Datasheet Reminders

Survey planning and reports

Moderators: dabbott, smcmillan, AnnaOcean, janfreiwald

dabbott
Central Coast Regional Manager

Datasheet Reminders

Postby dabbott » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:21 am

Hey, everyone, we're halfway through the season and I've seen some common errors on the datasheets so I wanted to post the following reminders:

-Fish transects should take ~ 5-10 min. 4 mins ok if there are not many fish or holes, but if it's taking 2 min you're going too fast.

-Measure fish to cm

-Fill in your header, including vis, heading, depth and time.

-Write legibility and if you have sloppy handwriting (like myself) and need to clean it up on the surface, it's better to re-write then to write over, as often times writing over just makes it harder to read. Messy and clear is better than clean and confusing.

-Don't id yoys, record them as yoy. If they have their adult coloration you can record them by species. Blue's for instance, are easy to ID when they are yoys, but don't record them as blues unless they have their full adult coloration.

-Lastly, I've changed the Invert and Kelp datasheets so that they now have a totals column! Folks should put their total in the box to the left of the tally field where the distance line used to be. Species that are likely max out candidates like urchins have two boxes, one for the total, and another one with an "m" in it for the distance. In the long run I think things will be much clearer using these, but there is definitely the potential for things to become confused if folks write down the wrong thing in the wrong box. If in doubt, write "50 @ 18 m" or whatever.

Return to “Nor/Cen California”