Welcome New Reefcheckers!

Survey planning and reports

Moderators: dabbott, smcmillan, AnnaOcean, janfreiwald

mhoffman

Re: Welcome New Reefcheckers!

Postby mhoffman » Mon May 15, 2017 3:26 pm

Thanks for having me; Glad I made the cut! My favorite piece of equipment is my regulator because of how comfortable it is for long dives. My least favorite piece of dive equipment is my secondary tank strap that I have to use because I only have half a back plate. I have a hard time remembering to strap it on and hard to secure once I have put my gloves on.

See you in the water,
Michaela Hoffman

zackgold

Postby zackgold » Fri May 19, 2017 8:13 am

My name is Zack and I am a PhD student at UCLA studying the effects of marine protected areas on biodiversity in Southern California. I took the SLO Reef Check class two weekends ago and am excited to be apart of the Reef Check. However, I do live in LA and will be doing a bunch of dives in down here in SoCal. Still thought I'd post here just incase I decided to make the trek up to Monterey or Big Sur one of these days.

I am a PADI Rescue Diver and also AAUS scientific dive certified and will take almost any chance I get to jump in the water.

My favorite piece of dive equipment is my Suunto Di6 computer and wireless transmitter. Really nice to have everything in one place and easy to read.

ellaadams27

Postby ellaadams27 » Thu May 25, 2017 1:30 pm

Hi Im' from UCSC
My least favorite piece of gear is my fins because they hurt my feet and don't fit into my action packer
My favorite is my knife cause it's nice and sharp and saves my from entanglement

ocdiver30

Postby ocdiver30 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:11 pm

Hello Reef Checkers,

My favourite piece of equipment is my flashlight. I'm constantly surprised at all the vivid colours from the reefs my light will illuminate.

My least favourite peace of equipment is my weights, if I could dive with out them it would make the shore dives that much more enjoyable.

See you all on the bottom Scratcher,
Oscar Cortés

Karenshine

Postby Karenshine » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:01 pm

My favorite piece of equipment is my balanced regulator - I call it my Precious 'cause without it I would not be diving. Putting on a 7 mm wetsuit was a challenge in the beginning.
Karen Shine

tank sipper

Postby tank sipper » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:36 pm

Hi fellow reef checkers!

My name is Allyson and my favorite piece of dive gear would be my regulators because they are so easy to breathe through and haven't given me any issues yet (knock on wood!). My least favorite piece of dive gear would be either my 5mm gloves since they're so thick or my drysuit since the dump valve has been leaking lately even though I rinse it after every dive.

See you in the water!

Allyson

orcinus

Postby orcinus » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Hi Everyone!

I'm very excited to join this community of citizen scientists! My least favorite piece of dive gear is my mask, it never stops fogging up :roll: and my most favorite is my dive computer, I never jump in the water without it! :)

See you in the water!
Kiran Punnilathil

sudweeks

Postby sudweeks » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:41 pm

Hey, I am approved.

My favorite piece of dive gear is my camera. Sometimes I even use it on land.

My least favorite piece of gear is my snorkel. Sometimes I grab it in place of my power inflator. I often leave it behind.

-Bruce-

catherinetraub

Postby catherinetraub » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:39 am

Hi Reefcheckers!

I'm Catherine- and just completed the classroom training and pool session this weekend. So excited to jump in the ocean and practice!

I think my favorite piece of equipment is my hollis bc with backplate. Feels so streamlined and wonderful underwater.

My least favorite piece of equipment is the snorkel. It's so clunky! I don't usually dive with one.

:)c

sherisudweeks

Postby sherisudweeks » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:14 pm

My favorite piece of gear right now is my surf cap, which I now use in place of my hood. I have never like the feeling of the hood around my neck and I think that it kept me from cold water diving for a number of years. My least favorite is the boots that I wear over my drysuit. I am small, but the footies in my drysuit are huge and I had to buy big boots to fit over them. I always feel like a kid tramping around in daddy's shoes when I wear them.

AndrewMiddleton

Postby AndrewMiddleton » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:09 am

Fav: I have a red knit cap from my friends at OpenROV #humblebrag. It's a clear Zissou/Cousteau nod and it's great for warming up after a dive and lookin' classy.
Least Fav: My boots? I have a 7 ml suit and its a little on the thin side for slow paced diving in cold water. My boots aren't the best fit and my feet are the first to get cold.

My new favorite is 3mm neopreane socks that I wear inside my booties. It's so brilliant cause wetsuit boots always get holes in them and the socks restrict the water movement around your feet, I highly recommend them. You can borrow my pair next weekend if you want unless I don't get my drysuit fixed by then. Props on Team Zissou.

ddoudrc

Postby ddoudrc » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:28 am

Hi Folks- Just doing my homework!

My fave equipment is just my backplate/wing/harness setup. Simple and works for me.
Least favorite? Probably my mask which no longer clears well :evil:

Glad to be here and great to see phpBB still in action! :lol:

Garriga

Postby Garriga » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:14 pm

I like my mask and fins because they let me see and help me move through the water. I hate the rest of it though because its cumbersome and heavy. It would be great to thermoregulate without a wet or dry suit, switch gills for lungs underwater and swim like a fish. Despite the grumbling, I'm looking forward to donning all the dive stuff and reefchecking this weekend.

Gian

mattchan

Postby mattchan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:08 pm

Hi All!

Very much looking forward to diving with you all and checking our CA reefs!

My least favorite piece of SCUBA paraphernalia is my "hood + vest". I'm trying to get a nice one-piece hooded-vest but it's on backorder for ~1 month.
(Why is everything always backordered?!?!)

My most favorite piece of equipment is my backplate and wing combo because it's so straightforward and easy to dial in.

All the best,
Matt Chan

jmasterson

Postby jmasterson » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:44 pm

Hooray, I've been approved!

My least favorite piece of equipment is my snorkel, as it is in the way, but i do use it on the surface and would not think to dive without it!
My favorite piece of equipment is my new drysuit, just one dive with it and I can't think of diving a wetsuit again in Monterey!

I'm looking forward to diving with you soon!
-Jenelle

Return to “Nor/Cen California”