Welcome New Reefcheckers!

Survey planning and reports

Moderators: dabbott, smcmillan, AnnaOcean, janfreiwald

mmccoyd

Re: Welcome New Reefcheckers!

Postby mmccoyd » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:26 am

Hi, Michael McCoyd from the Cal Academy class. Class was fun, even the underwater transect caterpillar dance!

My favorite gear might be my backplate, it holds all my ‘stuff’ and lets me experiment with where I want things, like my lead. My 10mm suit ROCKS, but it’s just there and not as much fun, especially when struggling to take it back off.

Least favorite might be thick gloves. Warmth is nice, but so is that whole dexterity thing. Or, the lack of an automated post dive dunk, rinse, dry, stow system…

Michael
(Or maybe my favorite is gorilla tape, cave line, zip ties, and rubber bands. Lots of options.)

ashafer

Postby ashafer » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:04 am

Hello! This is Allison from the 2016 SF class. My favorite pieces of gear are my flashlights and compass... night dives are the best. Least favorite is my wetsuit. 18mm on the chest = feeling like Violet Beauregarde (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.) Also I've lost some weight since buying it two years ago and it's not quite as warm as it should be will all that thickness. But it is purple so can't hate on it too much...

steve.wadsworth

Postby steve.wadsworth » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:17 pm

Hi everyone!! Steve here, from the SF class a week and a half ago!! Looking forward to the dives this weekend!

Favorite gear: Hopefully my new 7mm booties! Haven't used them yet but expecting toasty feet. Also like the new flashlight.

Worst: My mask is awesome, but 30 years old. I didn't need "readers" back then, but I do now, so hard to read and write (lots of squinting). I may try a new mask with readers this weekend. We'll see.

See you Sat AM!

dwadsworth

Postby dwadsworth » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:18 pm

Hello All!

This is Drew here, from the SF 2016 course at the CA Academy of Sciences.

Fave gear: Suunto D4i computer - almost all the info you need right there on your wrist + makes it all easy to log afterwards

Least happy about: snorkel - kinda hard to breathe in rough sea

pjllewellyn

Postby pjllewellyn » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:28 am

Hello to all dive-mates both new and old!! This is Pamela . . . and . . . My new bifocal mask is AWESOME. Other than that, I love all of my equipment that has seen me through since my first dive 31 years ago - namely my regulator, gauges, tanks and fins. See you Saturday.

Caroljoy0427

Postby Caroljoy0427 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:21 pm

Hello.I'm Carol from the Cal Academy class. My least favorite dive equipment is a tank, especially when shore diving. They are so heavy. I'm glad we're going on a boat tomorrow. My most favorite has to be a mask. There is nothing like seeing clearly under water. It still amazes me every time I go beneath the surface that I can see under water so clearly. There's so much below the surface that most people never get to see up close. I absolutely love diving! I just hope I can pass the species identification test. If not, I will keep trying. It's all pretty new information to me. I do like a good challenge. :D

rapdup

Postby rapdup » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:35 pm

Hi all,

Nathan Rapheld here from the Cal Academy 2015 class. I'm partial to my computer (always impressed at how good it is at what it does) with my drysuit as a close second (warm > cold). My least favorite piece is that chintzy piece of hard plastic that is somehow supposed to keep your snorkel attached to your mask. I'm switching back to the rubber figure-eight.

dabbott
Central Coast Regional Manager

Postby dabbott » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:41 pm

rapdup wrote:
My least favorite piece is that chintzy piece of hard plastic that is somehow supposed to keep your snorkel attached to your mask. I'm switching back to the rubber figure-eight.

Those things are awful. Doing a survey of the snorkels I found over the year the percent that had that chintzy piece on them is equal to 100% (give or take half a percent).

divervince

Postby divervince » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:48 am

Hi all,

This is Vince from the Sonoma class with Bill.

My favorite piece of gear is tied with my drysuit and my computer. My least favorite piece of gear is my new reef check reel because one side is in imperial! Why can't both sides be metric? :P

toleary

Postby toleary » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:06 am

My favorite gear is my passport, because it takes me places where the vis is more than 3 feet!

My least favorite is my camera, because it still doesn't take good pictures.

Tom O

Brian Herold

Postby Brian Herold » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:10 am

Hi everyone,

This is Brian from the Sonoma class and yesterday's boat. My favorite piece of gear is my regs, because they've never given me issues. My least favorite is the pair of fins that broke yesterday!
Brian Herold

ldefrancesca

Postby ldefrancesca » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:18 am

Hey guys!

This is Lizzie from the Sonoma class finally getting around to exploring the forum :D I think my favorite piece of gear is my flashlight because it allows me to find things that are hiding AND it lets me go on night dives. On the flip side, I'm not loving that my booties are just stretched out enough that a pair of wool socks no longer fills the open space.

Also, just a quick shout out and thank you to all of you that did your certification dives with me in Monterey a few weeks ago - I wasn't expecting to have such a pleasurable diving experience with so many people crammed on a tiny boat! Thanks for making it memorable! See you out there!!

LilliF

Postby LilliF » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:10 pm

Hello,

My most favorite is my new dive skin which keeps me warmer under my regular wetsuit than before I had it. My least favorite is the weight belt.

My schedule is pretty full for the next few months but am hoping more surveys come up, particularly from Santa Cruz northward on dates that I can make.

Lilli

dabbott
Central Coast Regional Manager

Postby dabbott » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:14 am

Not sure if all of you saw this so I wanted to repost it here:

I tweaked how we post the surveys so that you can order the survey posts in the forum by the date they are scheduled for. I think this has few advantages. First, it's just less confusing as the order stays constant, and doesn't change every time someone posts a reply. Second, it's in chronological order with the most important items, the ones coming up next, always at the top of the list. Lastly, it divides up all the time sensitive items (surveys and events) from all the posts about general RCCA stuff which will appear at the bottom of the list. Note: you must change your user preferences to display the posts in this order.

Here is how you do it:
Click "User Control Panel" in the upper right corner of this page.
Then click "Board Preferences" under the Options menu on left side of the page to expand that section.
Then just underneath that click "Edit Display Options" in the Board Preference section.
Then change "Display topics ordering by:" to "Subject"
and "Display topic order direction:" to " Ascending"
Click submit and you are all done.

If you just want to see what it looks like and not permanently change your settings, you can do so my going to the bottom of the Nor/Cen California forum and in the bar after the last post where it says "sort by" change the first field to "Subject" and the second field to "Ascending" and click "Go".

If you don't want to change how the Forum is ordered, you don't have to do anything. But I recommend giving it a try, I think you'll like it.

cavedon

Postby cavedon » Mon May 15, 2017 12:06 am

Hi everybody!
This is Ludovico from Santa Barbara.

My least favorite piece of gear is my wrist compass because it keeps getting stuck.

My favorite piece of gear is my new flashlight. Let's see if it will stay my favorite after I use it for the first time...

Return to “Nor/Cen California”