Welcome New Reefcheckers!

Survey planning and reports

Moderators: dabbott, smcmillan, AnnaOcean, janfreiwald

dabbott
Central Coast Regional Manager

Welcome New Reefcheckers!

Postby dabbott » Thu May 05, 2016 2:02 pm

Welcome to the forum. This is where we post all of our survey dives. Click around and take a look.

If you are reading this then you are doing your homework. To complete the assignment, tell me you least favorite and most favorite piece of dive gear.

For me, my most favorite is my drysuit because it keeps me warm and enables me to do stuff I would otherwise not be able to do. My least favorite is my drysuit because it's such a pain to put on and maintain.

adinghi

Re: Welcome New Reefcheckers!

Postby adinghi » Thu May 05, 2016 9:56 pm

I think I'm developing that love/hate relationship with my RC data slate. It's great that it allows us to do something useful, and it sure is big and klunky. Also, the paper looks weird in naturally lit photos/videos, probably because it's fluorescent.

Hey Dan, what's your favorite sandwich at Erik's? :P

PamR

Postby PamR » Fri May 06, 2016 9:51 am

I love my regulator. It's so much nicer and more comfortable than the rental ones I learned on. That and the keeping me alive thing! :wink:

Although I generally like my BC, I hate the pockets. They were slightly difficult, but possible, to access when I tried the BC on over street clothes. But with the limited mobility of the wetsuit and limited vision of the mask, it becomes absolutely impossible to access with those gear on so is completely useless in practicality. :x My buddy can use it. I can't!

dabbott

Postby dabbott » Fri May 06, 2016 10:07 am

adinghi wrote:I think I'm developing that love/hate relationship with my RC data slate. It's great that it allows us to do something useful, and it sure is big and klunky. Also, the paper looks weird in naturally lit photos/videos, probably because it's fluorescent.

Hey Dan, what's your favorite sandwich at Erik's? :P

It's the same as my favorite coffee shop in Venice.

stephenames67

Postby stephenames67 » Fri May 13, 2016 2:39 pm

Hello Reef Checkers,

I would have to say my most favorite piece of equipment is my WETSUIT. I am able to warm it up, anytime my heart desires. :D

My least favorite.......huummmm? Sorry to say this, knowing that some of you may be my future dive buddies, but I would have to say that is my OCTO - it always seems to be in the way.

Look forward to seeing all night on the boat,
Stephen Ames

yukot

Postby yukot » Tue May 31, 2016 1:03 pm

Yay, I've been approved!

My favorite piece of gear is a toss-up between my drysuit that keeps me from freezing and my Shearwater Perdix dive computer. My drysuit is also my least favorite piece of gear because of maintenance, donning, and all the things that can go wrong with it. I definitely once got in without my dry zipper closed all the way and was frantically trying to run back to dry land with my feet squishing in the water that had rushed in.

rherrington

Postby rherrington » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:30 pm

I would have to say my favorite pice of equipment is ALL OF IT ], from my reg through to my suites , to my computer.
And lets not forget our maskes and snorkel.

my least favorite thing is having to clean everything .But i do like the smell of my gear shampoo.
IT reminds me of what a great time i had on my last dive and that im almost ready for the next one .

Rob Herrington

Boccaccio Bill

Postby Boccaccio Bill » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:45 pm

The devise that creates an air volume space so that eyes can see clearly is the most important piece of dive gear for me ;)
and the least enjoyable dive equipment for me is the Pb soft metal for which there is no escaping where neoprene or shell type water exposure suits are needed.

barasmussen

Postby barasmussen » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:11 pm

Dan I have to agree with you on best and worse being drysuit. My real pain in the #$$ piece of equipment is my mask, some times it seals great and other times not so. Does not seem to be rime or reason for it.

Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:13 pm

Usually the least favorite are my booties. The are also the most ... smelly after diving. :) For surveys it may be my kevlar gloves. Really not good for writing but may provide good protection from urchins. I like my computer because it tells me what I am doing and where I am when I cannot see much.

dmhinsf

Postby dmhinsf » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:10 am

Dennis Hazekamp here (aka D2) from the 11-12 Jun San Francisco Reef Check class that took place at the California Academy of Science.

I'm now officially on the forum - one of the homework items.

Also, I am really looking forward to doing my first surveys in two week's time.

It was great to meet those of you who were in my class this pass weekend. I learned a lot and really enjoyed the class with you all.

And my favorite gear is my dive computer - not only does it help with my safety but I love gadgets and it is very gadgety.

D-Baum

Postby D-Baum » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:12 pm

Hey there! I'm the other Dennis from this week's class in SF. Dennis Baum... D-Baum!

My favorite piece of equipment is my surf mat! It lets me swim long distances when shore-diving so I can cruise over kelp and save my air for the destination, instead of burning it up getting there.
My least favorite piece of equipment is my dry suit. In fact, I have given up on that thing and am back to diving in my wetsuit now. Bundling up and drinking hot tea between dives beats struggling with a drysuit during dives. For me, anyway.

(Other strong "favorite gear" contenders: horsecollar BC, instrument gauntlet, and IDI Frog Feet fins!)

LaurenM

Postby LaurenM » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:52 pm

My new 5mil booties! I've been using 3mil with worn areas until a couple months ago and my dives are so much more pleasant now.

newigman

Postby newigman » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:21 am

Hey everybody! Nate here, good meeting you all, I'm diving with a different group for check-out dives but I hope to see you all out there on a reef check...

Least: so far, my drysuit (with high hopes that it will become my favorite)
Most: my fins! the elastic strap has revolutionized my shore diving, it makes me happy how easy it is to put on every time

If anybody is looking into diving today (haha) or next Thurs, let me know! newigman@gmail.com

dabbott

Postby dabbott » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:40 pm

Nice answers everyone. Drysuits do seem to be a common thread.

My new favorite piece of gear as of 1pm today are my 3 mm neoprene socks that I wear with my freediving fins that i just realized I can wear under my wet suit booties making my feet toasty warm and even slightly improving my trim.

Return to “Nor/Cen California”