Welcome New Reefcheckers!

Survey planning and reports

Moderators: dabbott, smcmillan, janfreiwald, Tristin.McHugh

GenaWhitman

Re: Welcome New Reefcheckers!

Postby GenaWhitman » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:04 pm

Yay!! Happy to be on the forum finally:)

My favorite piece of equiptment are my fins. Without them getting around would be so much more impossible.
My least favorite is 100% drysuit neck seals. Love to be warm. Hate neck hickies.

Cheers!
-----------
Gena Whitman

steph_hammond

Postby steph_hammond » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:12 am

I am trying to sign up for the Reefcheck dives in Santa Cruz this Saturday and Sunday (September 23rd/24th) but cannot find where to do so. Can someone help me?

dabbott
Central Coast Regional Manager

Postby dabbott » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:28 am

steph_hammond wrote:I am trying to sign up for the Reefcheck dives in Santa Cruz this Saturday and Sunday (September 23rd/24th) but cannot find where to do so. Can someone help me?

I'm not sure what you mean Steph, as we don't have dives in Santa Cruz scheduled for this weekend. Send me an email or give me a call.

Dan Abbott
Central California Regional Manager
Reef Check California
dabbott@reefcheck.org

Marse

Postby Marse » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:29 am

Hello everyone! I am a new Reefchecker and very excited to contribute:)

My most favorite piece of dive gear is a retractable clip, because it keeps all my danglies in tight.
My least favorite piece of dive gear are gloves, because I like to have most dexterity with my fingers, until they are cold at least;)

Marse

lagrady

Postby lagrady » Thu May 03, 2018 12:30 pm

Hi Everyone

I would have to say that my favorite piece of gear is my gobe dive light. Before my dive light, the world was literally a darker place, but now I'm always the diver who finds the coolest stuff because I can see into the furthest rock crevices.

I would say that I have a love hate relationship with my wetsuit/hood/booties, however. On one hand, it's the only thing that allows me to dive in the cold waters. On the other hand it always smells like stale ocean and mildew, making my whole room smell bad.

rkarm@ucsc.edu

Postby rkarm@ucsc.edu » Wed May 16, 2018 5:20 pm

Hi everyone,
I can't wait to get started with reefcheck!
I have two favorite pieces of gear and they are my hooded vest and my dive computer! My least favorite are my gloves, I know they keep my hands warm but my dexterity is so limited and I feel like they always get caught on things!
See you in the water,
Rachael

LauraCA

Postby LauraCA » Mon May 21, 2018 8:37 pm

Hi!

I'm Laura and my favorite piece of gear is my new Hydros Pro BCD because it has allowed me to remove 4lbs of weight from my kit. My least favorite piece of gear is my GoPro, because it both reminds me of: A). all the reasons that I want a super nice, super expensive camera and; B). all the reasons that I probably shouldn't be trusted with one.

Terremoto

Postby Terremoto » Fri May 25, 2018 11:08 am

My favorite piece of kit would have to be my Oceanic pro plus 3 computer - nice big screen for aging eyes... and my camera rig.
My least favorite would be my mask - as a person with an immense cranial capacity - getting a good fit is nearly impossible..
Terry Rowe

MattB

Postby MattB » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:25 pm

Hi Everyone!

I'm looking forward to diving with Reef Check!

My current favorite gear is my new wetsuit, because it actually fits me (no more gaps at my ankles and wrists) and let me ditch a bunch of weight compared to those bulky rental suits. :D

My least favorite gear is probably my gloves, because they're so bulky and make it difficult to do anything with me hands :P

Matt

Veekaay14

Postby Veekaay14 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:50 pm

Hello everyone!

My favorite piece of equipment has to be my new back plate/wing set up. On top of the comfort my buoyancy and trim has greatly improved compared to my old bulky jacket style bcd.

Least favorite piece of equipment has to be my snorkel. It always gets in the way and I keep grabbing it instead of my inflator hose.

Super stoked to finally be a part of Reef Check! See you all in the water! :mrgreen:

Victoria

JoshHonomichl

Postby JoshHonomichl » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:55 am

Don't really have a favorite piece of gear, but I will say that I'm very fond of the way that my regs deliver gas. I REALLY like that and when they stop doing so, they will be automatically demoted to my least favorite piece of gear.

Least favorite piece of gear is currently the fabric overlay on my Halcyon backplate. The backplate and straps work great except that the fabric cover that includes the pouch, when attached as recommended by the manufacturer, makes the lower wingnut completely inaccessible. It's a horrible design and I cannot fathom why they constructed it that way.

josh

Brandi

Postby Brandi » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:58 am

Thanks for the welcome Dan! Stoked to be part of RCCA!

Hmmm, still new to all of this and still adjusting to being a swimming yard sale - slate, calipers, smb, tape reel.... can't say that is something I dislike, just need to acclimate :) I will tell you that I disliked that BOTH of my dive watches decided to quit on my initial RCCA dives... That is being remedied. I definitely like using a smaller SCUBA tank - alum 63.

Looking forward to joining more RCCA dives!
Brandi

DiveForever

Postby DiveForever » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:27 pm

How fine to see posts from Dan and my classmates!

My drysuit is easily my most favorite (and newest) major piece of gear. It allows diving comfortably multiple times a day in Monterey in any weather at any time of the year. But it is bulky and stiff enough to keep me from being able to bend easily. My mask rates least favorite due to leaking.

I am excitedly looking forward to our RCCA ocean dives!

Louise

avasalmi

Postby avasalmi » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:48 pm

Hey everyone! I'm so happy to be joining this amazing group of people!

My favorite piece of dive gear would have to be my new 5 mil boots. My toes are easily the first part of me to get numb on especially cold days, and investing in some toasty boots has been a lifesaver. My least favorite piece of dive gear would have to be my weight belt. My BC is old and does not have integrated weights, and by the end of every dive my hip bones are bruised and my belt has somehow managed to slide significantly lower than where it was when I started.

Looking forward to meeting all of you!

-Ava

sea_otter

Postby sea_otter » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:05 pm

Hi everyone! I just finished the first half of Reef Check training in San Francisco, and I wanted to extend a big thank you to Dan for a fun and educational weekend. Really looking forward to the ocean dives next weekend and future trips with the group!

My favorite piece of equipment has to be my DPV. It's incredible to be able to scooter to the outskirts of Point Lobos, around massive pinnacles and through huge rocky canyons. Combine that with good visibility, and it's pure heaven.

My least favorite, that's a hard one. I'm pretty happy with everything so long as it works, and my drysuit has actually been keeping me dry lately (knock on wood!). I think I'd have to pick my drysuit pockets. DUI recommends small pockets for shorter people, and I stupidly took that recommendation. It's really hard to re-stow anything underwater. If you're ever ordering a custom suit, go for big pockets!

Mary Wholey

Return to “Nor/Cen California”