Reef Check California Benefit Program

Survey planning and reports

Moderators: dabbott, smcmillan, AnnaOcean, janfreiwald

dabbott
Central Coast Regional Manager

Reef Check California Benefit Program

Postby dabbott » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:45 am

As you have heard, we've got ambitious plans for this year, with lots of new sites we want to add in the region. To help make it worthwhile for you to come out and put in the time to get all that done and as an additional thank you to the folks who already do a ton of work collecting data, we've worked on expanding the benefits we can offer. Anybody who volunteers six days is eligible for these additional benefits. If six days is just too much and you are too busy to do it, that’s totally fine, whatever you can do is greatly appreciated and everything will be the same as it’s been in the past--these new benefits are in addition to the free air fills and discounts on gear and rentals available to you through the buddy breathing program.

Benefits:

Pro Deals
We have talked to a number of dive gear companies and they have graciously agreed to offer their stuff to dedicated Reefcheckers at the dealer price, roughly 40% off of retail. The list includes Oceanic, Hollis, Light and Motion, Aries, Lavacore and OceanPro, and will hopefully be expanding as the year goes on. I'll be sending out the price lists shortly. We'll place an order at least once a year, the first one being this month, so if you need something and you volunteered six days in 2014 send me an email with your order. Note, there are two important rules with these pro deals: 1) All orders have to go through me (don't call them directly) and 2) be discrete, don't talk it up, as dive shops and their normal dealers might not approve of them selling to you directly.

Free Boat Trips
For both surveys and recerts we ask for a donation to help defer part of the cost of the trip, generally $50 for recerts and $30 for surveys. If you volunteer six days a year, we will wave this request. Some of you like to donate and we certainly won’t object is you still want to contribute. But if you put in six days you can consider your bill paid in full.

Priority on Impacted Surveys
When special opportunities (like the Weston survey) come up, we’ll give first shot at signing up to folks who have put in six days.

What counts as a Volunteer Day?

Basically anything day you spend as a Reefchecker that contributes to helping improve the management of California’s rocky reefs counts as a volunteer day.

Most of this will be surveys, both boat surveys and shore surveys. We will be adding some of each this year, but the number of boat surveys spots is definitely limited as unfortunately there are no dive boats in many of the areas we want to get data from. If shore surveys are too much for you (you don’t want to get all that sand in your gear) I totally understand and you should be able to get enough days in on boats. But I am also willing to give folks credit for coming out and being shore support! I love the idea of having someone on shore as a safety person, data captain, and maybe even to bring some food or heat up water.

Volunteer days are not limited to surveys!

Training days will also count--anything that makes you a better Reefchecker! This includes the annual recert, fish practice days, first aid/cpr/rescue diver classes, and anything else we offer.

Outreach events, such as tabling and speakers bureau days also count as volunteer days. One option for giving talks as part of the speaker’s bureau is to have folks show the 20 min video that I showed at the volunteer part, and then just answer questions, so even if you didn’t go through the speaker bureau training you can still go out and give talks.

Data Entry also counts. We really want to get better at entering in our data, as now it doesn’t really get done until the end of the season. It would be great to be able to look at stuff mid-season. If you’re interested in doing this let me know.

Volunteer days are not limited to the above, if you spend a bunch of time doing something Reef Check related, it will count.

Now all we got to do is go out and survey the coast! Lots of exciting stuff coming up this year!

Bradcarter

Re: Reef Check California Benefit Program

Postby Bradcarter » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:21 pm

Wow! So much happening with Reef Check. We just finished or recerts at Van Damm SP this weekend. Getting really excited about the coming survey season and all the new opportunities for participation.

dabbott
Central Coast Regional Manager

Re: Reef Check California Benefit Program

Postby dabbott » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:13 am

Thanks Brad! I'm super excited about this season too!

Return to “Nor/Cen California”