04.14.18 Season Kick-off Party and Fun Dive (with Challenge Course)

Holds posts for RCCA Certified Divers from 2018

Moderators: dabbott, rcinfo, smcmillan, janfreiwald, Tristin.McHugh

dabbott
Central Coast Regional Manager

04.14.18 Season Kick-off Party and Fun Dive (with Challenge Course)

Postby dabbott » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:14 pm

Reefcheckers,

Please join us to kick off the 2018 season with a fun dive and Bar-b-q on Saturday, April 14th! The dive will be at Macabee at 9:00 am, and the party will be from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm at Andy Beahr's place in Aptos.

The fun dive (with optional challenge course)
For everyone who is interested we'll meet at Macabee at 9:00 am for a fun dive. I've you're up for it, you can try your hand at the "Challange course" I will set up. The course is inspired by the courses I have to do every year as part of my CDFW Scientific Diver recertification and will consist of a transect tape laid out with a number of challenge stations along the way. I'm not going to give away all the details, but challenges could be things like:

-Open water skills
-Tieing knots*
-Subtidal math involving dive physics
-Rescue diver scenarios

The challenge course is completely optional. You can do some, all, or none of it. You are more than welcome to come and just get in the water and just go on a fun dive. I planned it as I thought it would be fun as my cdfw recert is always one of my favorite dives every year. Also, there will be prizes.

*FYI, Dan's favorite knot is the water knot

The Volunteer Appreciation Party
Special thanks to Andy for offering up his place for the party! His place is super nice and has a great outdoor area where will can hang out and celebrate our successful season. There are even showers we are welcome to use after our fun dive. We will fire up the grill and have a solid supply of snacks and drinks. Feel free to bring something to throw on the grill or a yummy dish or drink to add to the mix. Bring your families and possible Reef Check recruits. Please RSVP for you and your guests so I know how much food to bring.

Directions to the Party

Enter 1099 Cathedral Drive, Aptos into your GPS or follow these directions:

-880 South turns into 17 South.
-Take Rte 1 South towards Watsonville/Monterey.
-State Park Drive Exit (NOT Park Avenue, which is an exit or two earlier).
-Left off exit.
-Right on Soquel. Soquel will go through a few lights, then under a bridge.
-Left at the Stop sign onto Trout Gulch Road. You’ll go over train tracks right away.
-Go about a block and take a left onto Cathedral. This is your last chance to call on cells if you want us to be watching for you.
-Follow Cathedral about 1.5 miles. There’s only one possible wrong turn, about a mile in, so when in doubt bear left.
-Soon after you pass Monte Toyon Camp (the sign is on the left) take a right onto Campus. If you find yourself going up a massive hill (there are lots of hills, but this one you almost need a running start for) you’ve gone just a shade too far.
-The cabin is about the sixth house on the right—brown house with green trim. The creek house is also brown with green and is just before it.

If you get lost and need help, the cabin can be reached at (831)662-1926 or the Creek House (less likely there will be someone there) is (831)708-2514.

NOTE--If you’re going to hit Santa Cruz at rush hour, you can take an alternate route from 17--exit at Summit Road (this is before the actual summit on 17) loop around and take a right to cross back over 17, and follow Summit Road about 4 miles. You'll pass the Summit Store (I think that's the name, it's the only big store up there), pass it, then take a right onto Soquel Santa Jose Road. That'll drop you down about 11 miles to a stop light at Soquel Drive. Then take a left and follow Soquel a few miles until you take that left onto Trout Gulch. This is worth doing if it's nice weather and it looks like you'll be arriving at Hwy 1 between 4-6:30 or so, or if you’re already seeing heavy traffic on 17--also it's a very pretty drive through the mountains.

I hope to see you there!

-Dan

Feel free to RSVP here on via the Evite:
http://evite.me/Ry3Dh2JmSw

David Chervin

Re: 04.14.18 Volunteer Party and Fun Dive (with Challenge course)

Postby David Chervin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:42 pm

Hi Dan,

I'm in. I'm assuming no recert that day?

thanks,

Dave
Dave Chervin

2016 and 2017 Golden Slate Diver

stephenames67

Postby stephenames67 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:04 pm

Count me in for both the dive and party.
Stephen Ames
Aka "Golden Slate Wannabe"

WorldofCaro

Postby WorldofCaro » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:15 pm

Count me in for the dive and the party as well. :mrgreen:

I also plan to take my friend Sebastian, whom you all met at the party last year, and who is interested in joining Reef Check this season :)
:: caro ::

dabbott
Central Coast Regional Manager

Postby dabbott » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:15 pm

David Chervin wrote:Hi Dan,

I'm in. I'm assuming no recert that day?

thanks,

Dave

Correct. There will be one on the 15th.

Pete

Re: 04.14.18 Volunteer Party and Fun Dive (with Challenge Course)

Postby Pete » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:25 pm

Sounds great, count me in!

elgoog

Postby elgoog » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:18 am

Already RSVPd through eVite but count me in for the dive and a maybe for the party after.

- Ushesh

ghenry1102

Postby ghenry1102 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:19 am

I'm in for both dive & party

Gary Henry
510-501-4927

rockfish

Re: 04.14.18 Season Kick-off Party and Fun Dive (with Challenge Course)

Postby rockfish » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:22 am

we should be there for both.
I assume we are doing a single tank dive.
/Homayoon

Return to “2018 Archive”